Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It Was a Good Run

The babies have been very kind to us and have held onto their 2 naps a day until just recently. For about the last month or so I was still putting them down in the morning at 9:30. Sometimes they would nap, sometimes they wouldn't. Or if we were out somewhere or we had company over we would skip that nap. But usually every 3 days or so everyone would sleep for an hour in the morning plus the usual afternoon nap. The past few weeks no one has been sleeping in the morning. I sometimes would still put them in their cribs just to have a bit of time to get cleaned up from the morning and get a couple of things done. But then I found that by the time I got them up, got ready and out the door we really didn't have a lot of time to do things before lunch and afternoon nap. So I decided to bite the bullet and stop putting them down in the mornings.

It has been a rough week or two getting used to this transition. I'm not finding that they sleep any longer during their 1 nap than they did during their regualr afternoon nap before. And they're not sleeping in any later in the mornings or falling asleep any earlier at night even if we put them down earlier. But I'm sure it will just take time to get into another routine and find what works best time wise. In the meantime there has been some record break meltdowns around here and more than a few moments where I've had to tell myself to breathe.

I took this picture a few days ago just before lunch. They must have been thinking, "If she isn't going to put us to bed why don't we just sleep right here." And for the record they weren't actually sleeping, but they were darn tired.

I have some funny videos, or actually sound clips, of the babies when they are supposed to be napping but instead are having a pretty ingteresting conversation. But for some reason they won't play on here.

We went out to Muenster this past weekend for what was supposed to be Daniel's baseball team's tournament. But with all of the rain they've had and even more on Saturday it was called off. We still stayed for the weekend and had a good time. We took the babies to the ball diamond to run around and did they ever have fun! After saying a few quick hellos to people who haven't seen them since last summer they made a beeline for the puddles and mudholes. They ran all the way out to right field and back in, although Mitchell ran to centerfield field first. They had a blast with all of the freedom to run around and puddles and mud to splash in. One of the times when Mitchell fell, he caught himself with his hands before his face went into the puddle but one of his ringlets that hangs in the front of face got wet. It was so cute but man were they all filthy! I didn't have my camera with me that day but we took them back the next day with Grandma and Grandpa and it was much drier and less messy.


A meeting at second base.



Mitchell with a look of shier determination...he must have spotted some mud.

Mitchell and Grandma goofing around with daddy.

Maggie getting cozy with Grandpa.

We went over to Miranda's (Daniel's sister) on Sunday so the babies could play with their cousins. Maggie wanted to wear these lovely blue glasses. Too funny!


Here are a few pictures of what we came across just outside of Humboldt on our way home. When we drove there on Saturday one lane was covered in water but by Sunday the whole highway was under water.



We are off tomorrow to spend a few days at the lake with my parents. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

3 comments:

Susan said...

We're in the same boat with napping over here, although I haven't given that 1st nap up yet. It's my break to regain some sanity before the madness starts over again!

Annie said...

I remembered those issues with naps, well my girls still have an afternoon nap and sometimes they don't sleep.

I like the picture of them "sleeping" at the stairs, adorable.

Have a wonderful time with family.

Heather said...

The picture of everyone sleeping on the stairs is precious!

I thought I was going to lose my mind when my kids gave up their morning nap, so I completely understand! Now I'm starting to panic about them giving up their remaining nap. When on earth will I get recharged and get anything done without it?!?!? : )