Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'm One of Those Moms

I knew it was going to happen one day sooner or later...I would be the mom of a child throwing a full out tantrum in the middle of a store and have to try and carry them out kicking and screaming. A few days ago was my day, except I had 2 screaming kids to carry out. And yes, I did have my wits about me to be thankful it wasn't 3.

I took the kids to the playland at a mall to meet my friends Tara and Desta and their crew. It was probably a sign to stay home when Mitchell threw a fit while putting his jacket and boots on but I went anyway. If we stayed home every time someone did that we'd be hermits. Him and Maggie cried until we were a minute from the mall. Casey, Maggie and I walked in, Mitchell wanted to be carried. We met the girls and Mitchell refused once again to take his jacket and boots off until the minute we were leaving. Maggie was saying she wanted to walk, but she wouldn't walk, she wanted her jacket on, but she didn't want it on, etc, etc, etc. Outside the playland the boys crawled into a play car, train and truck which was fine until it was time to let other kids have a turn, meanwhile Maggie was rolling around on the floor of the mall. Tara and Desta were taking the kids to look at the fish pond but none of us (except Casey) were in the mood for that. So I grabbed Maggie and Mitchell who were now having total meltdowns and made a bee line for the exit through the food court area where I'm sure all of Saskatoon were there having coffee. Thankfully Tara came with me and walked with Casey and Desta stayed with the 5 other kids. As I was trying to get a jacket on wet noodle Maggie a nice older lady poked her head around my shoulder and said, "Do you need help dear?". It was a very nice offer but it wouldn't have helped at that point.

The drama continued on in the van for a while after but we all made it home safely. I've never looked forward to nap time as much as I did that day.

I used to get comments about how well behaved the kids were when I took them out shopping in the stroller. I think we've reached that ripe age of 2 and those days could very well be behind us for a few years.

Although I could have sold 2 of our 3 that day, they are still sweethearts.

We had a bit of the flu go through the house last week. Mitchell got sick to his stomach once and was down and out for a few days. Both Maggie and Casey had a day or two of not feeling well but thankfully they didn't get it as bad as Mitchell did. I took these pictures on a day that Casey wasn't feeling well. All he wanted to do was snuggle up to the shelves.




Puppy and baby were saying "cheese" for the camera.


It was good to have Mitchell back to his normal self again.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I too experienced "that mom" at the store today. But I was able to quiet her with a juice cup and snack cup I found in the next aisle! It was the first time...I didn't know what to do! And I thought too myself, Oh great, here we go. I am the mom I always dread when going shopping!