Thursday, August 26, 2010

Casey's Big Day

Last Thursday Casey had surgery to fix a hydrocele (an accumulation of fluid around one of the testicles) that he's had for about 6 months. I was unsure how things would go because he gets pretty upset whenever we see a nurse or doctor and they don't take a fair bit of time to let Casey warm up to them. We got to the hospital at 7:45 and he was really good for the almost 2 hours that we were just hanging out and waiting. We went down to the holding area and he was still fine, he willingly got into the wagon that they were going to take him away in. Then the surgeon came out and wanted to mark where the incision would be in his diaper area and that's when it all fell apart. The doctor did his thing and then right away the nurse took him from us to go into the operating room, meanwhile Casey was screaming at the top of his lungs and trying to wriggle out of her arms (good thing she was a big, strong nurse!). I of course got upset after that just from seeing him so upset and knowing that he was in there alone.

The surgeon came out to talk to us about an hour later and told us everything went well, no problems. Once he woke up and I went to see him in the recovery room the nurse told me that he was "quite the handful" until they put him under. I can just imagine what it was like in that operating room. He did really well coming out of the anesthetic (although he was dead set on getting the IV out of his hand) and we got to go home less than 2 hours later. He was kind of groggy the rest of the day but didn't seem to be in any pain. He was running around like usual.
I have noticed something with Casey since the surgery. If he thinks he is going to be left alone he starts to panic, cries hysterically and is terrified. It's happened a few times this week when we've been downstairs and Maggie and Mitchell have already gone upstairs. I start to walk up the stairs like I always do and he starts screaming. He won't walk on his own, just stands there and cries until I pick him up. I've also noticed the same sort of thing when I bring him in from the van and from a walk. I usually bring him in first and then go back out and bring Maggie and Mitchell in together. He used to just hang out and look out the window of the door until I get back a minute later, but this week he's been doing the crying hysterically thing. When I go down to pick him up he is truly scared and wraps his around my neck and won't let go. He's never done this before so the only thing that I can think of is that he remembered being taken away from us in the hospital and is scared now of being left. I'm not sure, but it seems logical to me. Poor little man!

On a totally different topic - this is the reason we keep our bathroom doors closed.
The plumber had been fixing the downstairs toilet a few days ago and apparently I forgot to go down and make sure the door was closed. Mitchell and Maggie had almost the whole toilet paper roll torn up into tiny pieces by the time Daniel found them. They were having so much fun we let Casey join in and then took a bunch of pictures before we cleaned up.

Usually the suggestion of a bath can get them away from anything. As you can see in this video shredding up toilet paper was more appealing that having a bath.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Oh my goodness! That is so sad about Casey remembering! I'm glad that everything went well. Were those the scrubs that the hospital gave? They are super cute!

Susan said...

So glad everything went well with Casey's surgery. I know it's scary watching them take your little one away. It might not be the reason he's acting so clingy though. Mine have gone through times of not wanting to be left alone too. Thankfully not all at once! I just keep the routine the same and usually after a week or so, they are back to normal.

Megan said...

Awww, I would have been in tears! I was just reading your post! I am a sucker when it comes to them crying for me. Glad he is okay and hopefully he gets over his fear of being left alone.

We had a bathroom experience like that a month or two ago! Looked like a tornado went through!

Annie said...

I'm so glad he is doing well.

I think the kids had lots of fun with the paper,haha.

Debbie said...

awwww - poor little thing. Very scary for sure. Hope he is doing better.

Oh and the TP? Yep, mine are the same way! haha