Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fun In the Snow

Our Saskatchewan winter has definitely set in. The other day when I was driving to work at 6:15am it was -35 degrees with the wind chill. Yuck!

Before it got so cold we spent some time out in the snow. Our first time out wasn't the fun, happy time that I was imagining. Their mitts came off every minute (x3) and then they got upset when the snow would touch their bare hands. Casey was NOT impressed that there was snow on his mitts or that he couldn't hold onto the shovel the way he can without mitts. This boy doesn't like to get messy or have things out of place.

Things went better the second time we went out. I put their mitts on properly and I think it just took a bit of time to get used to the snow. They really didn't spend much time in it last year except for some toboggan rides. Mitchell really enjoyed shoveling snow...


And pushing the cars...he is going to be handy to have around this winter.

"Mitchell, where are you"?



It is a lot of work and takes a lot of patience to get everyone bundled up to go outside (and will be even more so with ski pants on too) but it will be worth it to get some fresh air this winter.

In other news, we had our first potty pee-er. I've been putting Mitchell and Maggie on the big potty everyday just with their diapers on to get them used to it (Casey will say he wants to sit on the potty until it's actually his turn, then he doesn't want to anymore). A few days ago I put Mitchell on without his diaper because he seemed to be in the middle of some business. Just as I was about to take him off he went! He stopped once he heard it and then did it again! We made a pretty big deal of it. That's as far as we've gotten on the potty front, but at least it's a start. Maybe Santa will bring them their own for Christmas.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

I can't believe you have snow already! Such big news about the potty! I am definitely afraid to try, but at least Jack is coming up to me and telling me when he has a wet diaper. He may be ready!

Jill said...

Sam - mine will only do that when they're stinky, not wet. I think that's really good that Jack is doing that.

Annie said...

They look cute with their winter clothes.

Congrats, Mitchell!!!

KaimeeJ said...

Hi Jill
My husband Larry and I are friends with your in laws. Donna told us about your blog and I so enjoy reading it. I can somewhat relate to your adventures of raising multiples. We have twin girls who just turned 7 this fall. Anyway, I jut wanted to tell you about some mitts I stumbled upon for our girls. They are Elbow mitts and they were a life saver for us. No more snow on their wrists or up the sleeve! The website is www.lbow.com
if you want to check it out.